Back to Where it All Began



Wes and I met in Taichung, Taiwan in February of 2003. We posed as ESL teachers by day and managed varying degrees of tomfoolery by night. Our misdirection somehow guided us together and our friendship blossomed from the betelnut sludge stained streets of the city.



I called it fate when we found out our families both had their roots in Camrose, Alberta and learned of the number of historical connections in amongst our lines. Wes proceeded to scientifically prove this seemingly insane coincidence with a formula eight pages long. In the end, though, we’re just happy and lucky to not be related.

A poem, dedicated to a beginning:

I once was an empty, lonely girl
Then I met this man who changed my world
We met over a murky shrimping pool
The patch on his fag bag declared him a Tool.
He rode a black Yamaha and drove so fast
We'd drive to the country, wind rushing past
With a bag full of beer and no more on our minds
Than the fresh Dakeng air and what bugs we would find.
It was the beginning of a beautiful thing
In the jungle of Taiwan I found my King
Happy days, bug catching nights
My Tool of a man is completely outta sight!!



Wes had already been in Taiwan for a year and a half before I arrived. Another year and a half later, we were both back on Canadian soil, trying to figure out how to live in the Real World.




I managed to educate myself in everything from counseling to nursing to hippy medicine to education with little focus on completion. Finally, I sunk my teeth into a certificate in occupational health and safety and began a Career. I’m now a Safety Coordinator for Edmonton International Airport. At least for 3 more weeks.







Wes went back to school to continue his Education and completed his Masters in Systematics and Evolution at the University of Alberta. He’s an Entomologist, and a great one.


Turns out we’re not so bad at this Real World thing.



Wes has been accepted to Chung Shing University in Taichung for his PhD program. The Real World is about to meet Fantasy Island. Back to where it all began.

This is our story.

2 comments:

5berez said...

What a great story you two have. Thanks for sharing. To the two of you as you continue on your journey, where it all began. Best wishes for you both. Thinking of you as you take this big leap into the next chapter in your life. Take care and keep in touch.

Nicole,Jamie,Kalie,Taylor,Morgan and Jeremiah

Our family bible verse that I would like to share with you....

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

andremarrgoulet said...

woooooot-!
this is awesome.
keep at it, anne! i'll stay tuned for more.
-Andre

Post a Comment