It was dark n' dank, though we could put up our feet.
In fact, I had to if I didn't want a scare,
From the many lil spiders making their homes down there.
And I don't mean the ones that we keep as pets
Ours are much friendlier and sweet, I'll bet.
There was only a single room in which to lay ones head,
And hardly enough room in there for much but a bed.
It had no door, which wasn't very sweet,
Cuz I could hear the TV when trying to sleep.
And Yang Gwang found her way in there every day,
Shedding her hair in our bed where she'd lay.
A blessing then came, although in disguise,
The time had come to tell the suite good-bye,
A bit of a panic to find a new place,
Unfortunately, it isn't most peoples taste,
To house a dog and 6 spiders as well,
Finding a new home was going to be hell.
Looking at suites, it crossed our worried minds,
'Is this dump the best that we're going to find?'
Finally we found the place we'd come to call home,
A house! With a yard! And two floors to roam!
The floors creak a little and the house is very old
We knew we'd have to insulate before it gets cold.
Wes bought some paint and Andre loaned a hand,
Over the next week, and almost all we could stand,
The house became home with a new coat of paint,
When doors wouldn't close, Wes showed restraint,
Signs of mice everywhere couldn't deter us,
We filled in all the holes and will trap them if we must.
Sunlight streams in the windows, there's a park in the back,
We're ignoring the basement floor has a crack.
No reason to be quiet, we yell just to be loud,
Of our old creaky house, I am so proud.
And thankful for Wesley, who has made me this space,
Now it’s time to go and I will really miss this place.

Last weekend was the much anticipated Yard Sale. Wes and I had spent hours marking prices and twice as much time arguing over what the prices should be. While setting up I found and umbrella/bag set worth $2 and a single umbrella worth $4. Obviously, we hadn't been all that consistant. By 7pm on Friday evening, it seemed a moot point. People haggled viciously and we were too hot, happy and drunk to care much what they paid, as long as it was hauled off.

It was prime yard saling weather and all the downtown riff raff came out of the woodwork to hunt down bargain items. Some came merely for entertainment and made dozens of rounds of the yard, picking up each item and looking for its full history. Stray neighbourhood children quickly caught on to the free candy sitting out, and made themselves at home in our yard.

Friends and family came for the company and stayed for the entertainment provided by the parade of neighbourhood characters that graced our back lawn.
In the end, 54 Corona's, 30 AGD's, 1 26 of Gin, 24 hotdogs, 12 hambugers, 18 donuts, 8 breakfast sandwiches, 3 pots of coffee, 2 wicked sunburns, 4 hub caps, 1 pallet fire, 1 drunk neighbour, 2 mullet-mohawks, 4 evicted children, and 2 catfights over appliances = 1000 bucks profit.
And one rather empty house.


0 comments:
Post a Comment